Tuesday 13 September 2011

Into Africa


This is the start of my journey. I have arrived in Uganda where I begin my three month tour of East Africa. Along the way I will be blogging about my experiences volunteering at community projects helping smaller NGOs raise much needed funds for education, health and poverty alleviation projects. 

As I write this, I am surrounded by darkness with only the light from my laptop and a head torch to see my keyboard as the power is out. I am at the Ruhanga community development project in South West Uganda which comprises of a volunteer centre and primary school who's aim is to deliver a quality of life to people in the region. The projects are funded and organised by charity Let Them Help Themselves.

There are good people here. Both western volunteers and the local staff who work tirelessly for the young people the project supports. There is genuine kindness in all of them which is wonderful to be around.

My first job was to photograph a water sanitation project that the charity had recently completed the first phase for. A piping system was installed at the top of a nearby hill, and provides clean water uncontaminated by animals or humans to thousands of people in the village. Importantly, there is a tap installed at the local school meaning that children can access clean drinking water throughout the day. For those who know me, taking photos of smiling kids able to drink water that won't kill them or make them sick was a dream first assignment for me, and I'm pretty happy with what I came away with. Hopefully these will inspire the funder to release more money to complete the project on the other side of the valley making clean water available to thousands more.



 Today I visited the school for the first time properly. Around 200 children attend the school to learn basic English and maths in a basic yet functional building which has  five classrooms. I sat in on a class of about 30 bright and enthusiastic kids who loved  having their picture taken. I interviewed a few of them for case studies, as well as the head teacher who is a gentle guy who only has three years teaching experience, yet now is competently running a school. 


The main task I've been set is to develop a funding proposal for a new school building which will deliver vocational training and business skills to young people. This kind of job creation is essential where even with a school certificate finding a job is extremely difficult. In the long term the charity aims to open a bakery, craft centre and bee keeping facilities to further allow entrepreneurs to make their own income for themselves. I am proud to be part of this.

Later in the day, after I had written up my notes and edited my pictures, tragic news reached us that a four year old girl had been killed by a car on the nearby road. The school is situated very close to the main road which links two major cities, and buses and 4x4s hurtle down it at frightening speeds. A medical student volunteer was at the scene, but nothing could be done to save the child and she died at the side of the road in the pouring rain side by side with her mother and twin brother.

One needless death for one so young and innocent is too many, yet with the child mortality rate region at 40%, sadly far too many of the bright stars I have met will also fade before they have had their chance to shine.

The death has affected us differently. For the local staff death is common, and there have already been three funerals attended for relatives within the last week alone. For some of the volunteers, it has put into doubt whether they can have any lasting effect on these communities, and question whether they have actually achieved anything in their time spent in Africa.

Life is cruel and unfair. There is no doubt about that. Yet although we cannot change what happens to us, we can try and control our reactions. For me, this event has made me see how important supporting groups like these are who can actually make a real difference in people's lives. If we do not like the way the world is, we have the power to change it. Tragedies like these bring into perspective what happens if we do not. 

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are already busy! Really enjoyed reading your post and I love the Socrates quote. It's very sad about the girl. Good luck with your mission, I'm sure there will be amazing highs as well as unjust lows.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi son - thanks for a very moving account of life in Uganda. My heart goes out to the poor family you describe.

    Keep up the good work and keep the news flowing.
    Dadx

    ReplyDelete